Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 9: Clear

Week nine was all about the Internet and the World Wide Web, which before now I thought was the same thing. However, to clarify the internet has been around a lot longer than the world wide web. Having used computers all my life I thought that this topic would be a breeze after the Web 2.0 project, however, there were many new terms and statistics that I found to be extremely interesting.


For instance, I had no idea that the What is my IP Address? website even existed, and how simple it makes locating your IP address. Also, while reading the Don't Make Me Think! chapter from Steve Krug, I was amazed at how often I do the things they explained while browsing the web. I'm so use to scanning pages, closing any pop-up before it is completely loaded and being upset when I find webpages with tons of writing and no empty space I don't even realize I am doing it.


One thing I was very familiar with this week was the difference between dial-up access internet and broadband. I am originally from a small town out in the woods where connecting to the internet took at least 30 minutes. Now that I live in Gainesville and have high-speed broadband internet it makes researching for projects and communicating with friends back home a pleasant experience. 






Another topic discussed this week was Wi-Fi "piggybacking" or "war-driving" that are actually recognized as Wi-Fi Crimes. This occurs when people drive around with their wireless devices and try to connect to other people's unsecured wireless signal. I know that this happens all the time, but I was astonished by the number of people who have admitted to doing it and how it is considered a felony.

The following link clarifies the Wi-Fi crimes a little more.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/237

No comments:

Post a Comment