Friday, September 10, 2010

Excel Project

For the Excel project that I had to complete three worksheets. I had over 500 pieces of data to work with and it got a little confusing at times. During the project I was required to adjust pre-existing formats such as changing the text position, making it bold, italic, changing the size, and changing the font. I had to create new columns and sheets and rename them as they are made. One of the simplest part of the projects was creating the formulas. I was required to create simple formulas for adding and subtracting, and also some formulas for calculating percentages. After watching the short videos and with my past excel experience the formulas were extremely easy to configure and place. 

The hardest part of the assigned project was learning how to make a pivot table. I spent hours watching videos, using google to search "pivot tables" online and reading through the chapters in the book. It was especially hard to figure out to me because I am new to Mac Office and all my previous experience is in regular Microsoft excel. Not to mention the fact that the lectures are all in Microsoft excel so they were of almost no help. Finally, it came to me and I realized what I was doing wrong by trying to adjust my columns in rows to much instead of just entering the data. After completing the first pivot table, creating the second pivot table was a breeze and only took me minutes to complete.The information once you learn it is extremely easy to catch onto.

I feel that learning both Microsoft excel and Mac's version of excel will be greatly beneficial in the future. I will not have to learn a new system now and will be able to transfer smoothly to whichever program my place of business prefers. Below I have provided a screen shot of my AvgIncrease pivot table. Learning to take screen shots on the Mac was also something new I learned from completing this project. I am really happy I jumped on this project far ahead of its due date because it definitely threw me through some loops.


No comments:

Post a Comment