Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 3: Clear

I felt like this week the most clear concept I learned about was Computer Ergonomics. I feel very passionate about this subject because I have been in a wreck that has rendered me incapable of sitting for long periods of time. I have to use absolutely perfect posture in order to maintain functionality. Computer Ergonomics is the correct posture and seating arrangement one must have in order to use a computer safely without inflicting bodily injury to oneself. It is the proper posture one must use while in a computing environment. The short video on how to seat yourself, set-up your work station and the health risks of poor ergonomic design helped me improve my ergonomics. I re-adjusted my posture and computer desk and it made my overall experience much more comfortable. I didn't feel tense, my back no longer hurt and my eyes did not lose focus once. Proper ergonomics can help to prevent health risks such as; carpel tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, fatigue, and even chronic colds and flu!!

I feel that the short course on computer ergonomics will stay with me for the rest of my life. I think that it should be taught in more computer classes to help prevent future back problems and slouching. It is extremely important to have exceptional ergonomic skills in the business world, because you are going to be putting in extremely long hours at your computer station and when a boss or superior arrives it is always beneficial to have great posture and look your best. Also, good ergonomics can lead to more productivity in the workplace. If people are more relaxed at their cubicles then they will be doing more work rather than taking breaks to stretch, eat or use the bathroom. 

The following links I have provided emphasize the correct computer desk set up to be ergonomically safe. Also, I have provided a link showing the health risks of bad ergonomics.

http://ergonomics.about.com/od/office/ss/computer_setup.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Health-Risks-Of-A-Non-Ergonomic-Environment&id=667053

No comments:

Post a Comment